Wednesday, May 5, 2010

My Garden

Today I was finally ready to start planting the big portion of my garden. Some dear friends came yesterday and tilled it. Then, I spent the evening trying to rake out all the hunks of grass. So today I put 70-some tomato plants in the ground, planted a patch of carrots, one of basil and another of spinach. I got one row of green beans in when I realized time had gotten away from me and I should probably go in and shower before church. My children have been helping a lot in the garden. It was my oldest daughter who initiated the garden and we all have a blast with it. The kids being age 5 and under, though, there are just times when it is easier (and certainly more therapeutic) to work alone. This afternoon when the last child finally gave in to nap time I made a mad dash for the garden. I let the girls help plant seeds when they woke up, but I wanted to get the tomato plants in myself. I started these tomatoes in the house a long time ago and they have come to be an important part of my day. I wanted them to be treated with care as they were moved to their new home. As I pulled them out of the little "indoor greenhouse" thing I planted them in I discovered they were all stuck together. They had their own little pods they were supposed to be growing in, but their roots had grown through them and into the neighboring pods. I knew they had been starting to look a little sad, that's why I was in such a hurry to get them in the ground. It occurred to me that they weren't getting enough of what they needed in their own little space, so they were trying to get it from one another. The thing is the others didn't have anything to spare either and that's why they all looked so rough. It was all too familiar to me. Not the tomatoes themselves, but trying to get what I need from people who don't have it to give. Time and again I've sought love from people who've never learned how to love. I've caught myself looking for emotional support from people who've learned not to feel. I try to get people to give me hope when they saw the circumstances as hopeless. It is my firm belief that our relationships with other people are of extreme importance. Lately, though, I have come to see that when we seek from other people what we can only get from God we not only are left sorely disappointed, but we drain the people we love of what "nutrients" they may have and need for themselves.
Tomorrow I hope to finish planting the green beans. Then Friday I intend to make about 10 meatloaves and several dozen rolls to get in the freezer. I certainly don't anticipate any boredom. I'll let you know how it goes. May God supply you all the "nutrients" you need and may you always remember to look to Him first.

No comments:

Post a Comment