Thursday, April 29, 2010

Diamonds

I had planned on talking about organization today, but God has led my thoughts in a different direction. So, tonight I want to talk to you about diamonds. Do you have any diamonds? I have the one in my wedding rings and a pair of earings. They seem to be of great value in our culture. People will pay a pretty penny for them, often in spite of the fact they can't afford it. Then there are those of us who opt to get the same look with a $20 CZ from Wal-Mart. Most people can't tell a difference at a glance and I don't know anyone rude enough to really try to examine someone else's jewelry that closely to determine its monetary value. The fact is, in circles like the ones I run in most of us assume that most of the jewelry we wear contain the cheaper immitation stones. That being said, if someone gives me a necklace and I assume the stone in the pendant is a CZ, I could be wrong. It might be a diamond even though I don't recognize it as such.
People are like that. So often we feel that we are only worth as much as someone else (our spouse, our parents, our friends, our pastor or his wife, a perfect stranger, our children, the list goes on) thinks we are. As common as this way of thinking is it simply isn't true. We are diamonds regardless of whether anyone ever recognizes us as such or not. We have value because God gave us value and no one else's appraisal of us can affect our true worth. I would encourage you to take some time to look at what God's word say's about who you are. Write down some of the characteristics you have trouble believing about yourself and read them often. Know that God's word is true regardless of how we feel. Begin to talk to yourself in a way that is in line with what God says about you instead of going over your negative emotions and insecurities. You are a diamond because God says you are. May God bless you and may you take the time to enjoy His blessings every day.

No comments:

Post a Comment